Thursday, March 6, 2008

I am not Fluent in Japanese

My standard morning consists of making a cup of coffee from the Flavia machine, reviewing one contract and then searching for a job for three hours on Craig's list. While most lawyers can obtain employment without the assistance of a job database, let alone, monster, career builder and/or indeed.com, I have been instructed by toilet to actually utilize Craig's list in addition to my quest for an apartment and missed connections to obtain suitable employment.

This morning I stumbled across this listing which I think warrants in depth discussion:

"Attorneys Fluent in Japanese Wanted!!!"

While I have no doubt that there is a market for attorneys who are fluent in foreign languages, I take particular issue with attorneys fluent in Japanese competing in my pool. This is not because I am a bigot; it is simply because attorneys who are fluent in Japanese do not need to be searching on Craig's list for a job. Attorneys who are fluent in Japanese are also the high school students who were fluent in Japanese who had to tutor some of my friends who were not fluent in English in math and science. Attorneys who are fluent in Japanese did not fail the LSATs. (I have been told it is not possible to fail the LSATs, but I beg to differ).

A career advisor (not that I have one as you well know my career services has rejected me in addition to the rest of Manhattan) might point out:

Non-existent career advisor: Well C, you are not fluent in Japanese. Therefore what difference does it make if someone who is fluent in this language applies for the job?

My Reply: Thank you non existent career advisor. While I am not in fact fluent in Japanese, I did apply for this job because I apply for all jobs.

No comments: