Monday, May 5, 2008

Blanco Plains


Because I am not in the position to be picky about job prospects, I am most certainly not in the position to be picky about job geographic locations. While at one point in my life, the idea of a reverse commute seemed unheard of, at this point, the idea of a reverse commute is turning into a relentless reality. Some might say to me, "C, there is a law firm on every block in Manhattan; I see no reason why you can not find employment at at least one of these thousands of firms." Well, whoever this judgmental character is, should be shot. For, I have considered every law firm in Manhattan and I can not say the feelings are mutual.

Regardless, on Thursday, I had the happy occasion of being invited to a new level of sewage and now I have to entirely re-categorize my schema. While I thought I had renegotiated my standards the day I interviewed at a firm in the Empire State Building where the “attorneys” were actually using typewriters and one of the partners walked past me and proceeded to pass gas, I stand corrected. Make no mistake; I am not one to judge a book by its cover, as my previous shithole's offices were really quite lovely before they too were relocated to the lesser city.

But really, nothing could properly prepare me for this encounter. As on this very special day, I was in fact interviewed by a garbage graduate midget. I must report that he was the best part of this firm. For, the nature of the labor was really remarkable; I would be asked to work in a special niche that represented police men and firemen who were injured while on duty. I do not know anyone who does this, but perhaps I would be really good at it. I am a firm believer that most litigation is the same regardless of where it takes place, even if it does take place above a Sears parking lot.

However, my major problem with this consideration, aside from the obvious, is that if for some reason I were to take a job in this fine city, sweet home of the lovely Galleria Mall, is that M&M will be literally ten minutes from my construction site. It is becoming all too clear what this would mean for me, but I imagine that by the end of the first month of employment, I will be prodded with the legitimate inquiry: "Spinster face, why not consider that nice midget who gave you the job? You are being too picky”

No comments: