Wednesday, December 10, 2008

AF is Being Given A Run For His Money

In today's day in and age, no one can escape career advice. I imagine that even those of us who are successful fall victim to career advice that they have already heard a million times and want to tell their adviser to kindly shut the f*ck up.

Well, given that I am entirely unsuccessful, I am offered free annoying painful career advice all of the time. Like, "have you ever thought of networking?" No asshole, I never have. Try not to reinvent the wheel here. Next thing you are going to ask me is if I have thought of checking Monster.com. Every day someone thinks they are so much smarter than me and addresses me as though they have ever been in my position, i.e. looking for a job for five years.

If there is one time I really care not to have career advice it is when I am out. When I am concentrating on wine, I am not concentrating on any of the following things: 1. how many cigarettes have I smoked 2. What is the political climate like in the Middle East oh and 3. What is my next career move. Friday night was no exception to this rule.

E and I had the great pleasure of running into a much older Garbage graduate and his partner (the partner inquired in jest whether or not this institution is actually accredited). As your expectations might have it, these two slimes run a personal injury firm. I was fully prepared to not verbally judge them until I was left alone with the Garbage graduate. While E was pleasantly chatting away with the other partner who used to work at her current "practice," I was entirely unfortunate enough to be told what a piece of trash I was by another piece of trash. All I said was that I have not made up my mind entirely as to whether or not I wanted to practice, but if I practiced again I pray to God that I am not working above a KFC. I may have left the second clause out. Needless to say, I tried to change the topic of conversation. I did not even say it is because people like you and your partner who do business in Penn Station that I do not want to practice.

This seltzer bottle told me that when you are a personal injury lawyer, you have the power to change lives. Additionally, after a hard day at work, if you pop in the movie "To Kill a Mockingbird" you will be reminded of why you do what you do. Because I have no interest in making a difference and have adopted this "woe is me attitude," I would not know about this gratifying experience.

My first question was "Seltzer face, did you know that the movie was based on Harper Lee's novel and if so, did you/could you read it?" However, my real inquiry is how this carbonated drink has changed lives in a manner that is comparable to the way let's say Atticus Finch changed lives. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the real deal like confronted racism in the deep South. What has Diet Rite done? Confronted the Dunkin Donuts franchise after their client slipped and fell on some coffee. I believe the more relevant movie is My Cousin Vinny.

No comments: